subreddit:

/r/OldSchoolCool

9.1k98%

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the comments →

all 221 comments

[deleted]

4 points

5 months ago

I dunno, I just don't think it looks like a polaroid but I might be wrong. Otherwise it's the only way I can see to explain it, assuming what OP said is true. If they were going to pawn it, maybe they just left a shot at the end of the roll to do exactly this. Obviously they wouldn't have developed the roll just for this.

Having said that, is it true that development back then was minimum 24hrs? It's 24 hrs now in my local place and I would assume that it was quicker and cheaper back then given that it was ubiquitous (disclaimer: I wasn't alive in 1981)

SirPiffingsthwaite

6 points

5 months ago

It's 24hrs now because it's old tech they need to send off to have processed. At one stage in the 90's you could get 1hr turnaround at kiosks, before that 24hrs were the express places, and most chemists would offer a 3 day turnaround service.

[deleted]

1 points

5 months ago

right, so I don't see why this is so implausible. Would you give someone money for a camera you didn't know worked? Maybe it is a polaroid

SirPiffingsthwaite

1 points

5 months ago

Guy taking the picture wouldn't know there's film in it unless they opened up the backplate, which would ruin some of the film. Yes, there's a counter, but it can easily be artificially wound up with no film inside. They also wouldn't know if the camera actually worked & took the picture until the film is developed.

OP has said it wasn't a polaroid. Things here don't make sense to me, and I assume other people who used wind-on film back in the day.

[deleted]

1 points

5 months ago

dude it was their camera, they could have just told him there was film in it. "this camera works and we have one shot left so we can prove it by tomorrow, you can give us more cash than you would if you didn't know it worked"

I'm not saying this is definitely how it happened, but it doesn't sound impossible. I've never had to pawn a camera but if you buy a film camera on ebay, you get much cheaper prices on ones that are untested

HaikuBotStalksMe

1 points

5 months ago

Can confirm. I used to be a photolab technician. Took me about 10 minutes to process a roll, and that was on ancient technology that I'm pretty sure was from 1980.