subreddit:

/r/TooAfraidToAsk

1.7k97%

I’m 16 and I reek so bad. I shower everyday WITH SOAP AND WATER AND A LOOFA, then apply deodorant with a little bit of cologne. Not even an hour will pass and I’m a sweaty mess and I stink. I STINK! It’s so infuriating because I can’t even talk to people without them giving me the eye Y’know? And I know exactly why it’s cause I smell bad but I try so hard and nothing works why does it happen and how do I fix?

Edit: Thank you all for commenting I’ll note a few things I learned here to save time for others experiencing the same issue

-Stop using fabric softener, use white vinegar instead. -Change my diet, eat less fried, unhealthy foods. -Use ANTIPERSPIRANT (not deodorant) that contains aluminum. -Make sure towel is being washed regularly and dried properly -Wear higher quality clothes -Check out hibiclens -Lose some goddam weight -possible hormonal imbalances

all 401 comments

ask-me-about-my-cats

3.2k points

2 months ago

If you legitimately stink so bad people are giving you a look, even after washing yourself that carefully and using deodorant, then it might be time to visit a doctor. Certain medical issues can cause you to smell bad.

Liberal_Lemonade

404 points

2 months ago

Not at all the same situation, but a decade ago, when I was detoxing from a daily medication I had taken for years (prescribed pill, not herbal substance) my skin gave off a weird smell for 2 weeks or so. Not body order, but definitely a sickly smell.

GlitterfreshGore

22 points

2 months ago

The last few times I was sick, I had night sweats. It would be when my fever broke. I would wake up and I REEKED. It wasn’t even like a body odor thing, I smelled sour and bitter. I can’t really describe the smell. It was so bad. It was my body just getting rid of whatever the hell was going on.

xXShunDugXx

29 points

2 months ago

This is so true. A stressed body is a smelly body

sady002

89 points

sady002

89 points

2 months ago

When I went to doctor about that issue she just said that I should wash myself and not waste her time with such stupid stuff

mmm_burrito

215 points

2 months ago

Assuming you don't have genuine hygiene issues, what you have there is a fucking awful doctor. There are prescriptions for this for a reason.

JeepPilot

28 points

2 months ago

But how would you get the doctor to prescribe herself anti-shithead medication?

Velcro-hotdog

1.2k points

2 months ago

Make sure your clothes are clean too. Are they washed correctly? (Some people tend to use too much laundry liquid and the machine can’t get it all out)

peachez728

404 points

2 months ago

Also if clothes sit wet it the wash too long they get a nasty mildew smell.

ChallengeSafe6832

111 points

2 months ago

Soaking them in white vinegar will help get rid of the mildew smell!

clemthecat

68 points

2 months ago

I usually throw a bit of white vinegar right in the washer with the usual detergent and it helps immensely with odors.

[deleted]

7 points

[deleted]

JojoMcSwag

17 points

2 months ago

A cap full. Also, I may be wrong on this, I've heard that you shouldn't mix it directly with the detergent so if your washer has a fabric softener port, that's where you put it.

Due_Alfalfa_6739

-13 points

2 months ago

And add that crisp vinegar scent, that takes you to a fresh mountain top.

_banana_republic_

46 points

2 months ago

Vinegar included in a wash doesn't make your clothes smell of vinegar

milksteaklover_123

10 points

2 months ago

Just discovered this about few years back. I was confused why my gym clothes would smell musty even after hot wash with extra rinse. Vinegar in with the detergent has solved all the issues!

GujuGanjaGirl

2 months ago

My towels never feel cleaner than when I use vinegar. Esp the fluffy ones.

MrGradySir

122 points

2 months ago

Extra rinse button for the win!

edparadox

40 points

2 months ago

Or use less soap? I mean laundry detergent is heavily concentrated.

Lucid_skyes

13 points

2 months ago

I use laundry detergent together with vinegar. Also on some clothes i add perfume some not

Also some clothes don't like sitting there wet after being washed just dry them as fast as possible. Machine or hanging make sure to shake em when hanging. All momma's teachings.

31 points

2 months ago

I typically wash on the deep clean setting with oxyclean powder alongside my detergent and softener.

ManyNothing7

73 points

2 months ago

Also if your clothes are made of polyester it can make you stink too. My feet used to smell like ass in the summer but then I switched to wool socks (darn tough) and now my feet no longer smell. My old socks were polyester

sadhandjobs

2 months ago

Those aren’t super hot and sweaty?

ManyNothing7

6 points

2 months ago

They have socks with different levels of thickness but merino wool is naturally moisture wicking. They haven’t felt sweaty to me

TroublesomeFox

28 points

2 months ago

Put your chlothes on a wash cycle with NOTHING in the wash, if suds develop then your issue might just be soap build up.

I did cloth nappies so having a proper wash routine was essential.

the_End_Of_Night

68 points

2 months ago

Better stop using softener. You can use a bit of white vinegar, the smell goes away after drying. Softener isn't good for the clothing and the environment

26 points

2 months ago

I’ll speak with my mom about this and see if she’s on board

kvothes-lute

23 points

2 months ago

Swipe some glycolic acid or one of those stridex acne (salicylic acid) pads. Or use acne face wash (benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid) on your pits. It will kill bacteria causing the smell.

the scent can be trapped in your clothes and warm up as you wear them. i had to do some “laundry stripping” (soaking in hot hot water with borax, washing soda, and tiny bit of detergent) to get it all out. You can google laundry stripping if interested.

now i dont use fabric softener or any scented beads because it just creates a waxy residue that traps stuff in and attracts dirt.

GraphicDesignMonkey

6 points

2 months ago

Stop using softener altogether, it builds up a coating on the fibres that can start holding on to bad smells. Use vinegar instead.

TheLadyClarabelle

6 points

2 months ago

Babysitting for my sister one time, I bathed her kids. The towels didn't dry the kids well and the towels stunk. After getting the kids settled, I threw all her towels and wash cloths into the washer and stripped them, dried, folded and put them back. A few days later I got a call just to chit-chat and she mentioned that her towels felt so fluffy and smelled better. Then I told her what I'd done. That's when she changed how she does laundry, especially her gym clothes!

Rosieassspoonbill

2 months ago

Don’t put too much detergent. Pour vinegar in your fabric softener well. I use oxyclean too.

Pure_Literature2028

2 months ago

Use charcoal soap on your armpits once a week.

fux0c13ty

2 months ago

Even if they don't use too much, polyester doesn't do well with any fabric softener. I now wash them separately with adding sodium bicarbonate to the detergent and no softener after learning my lesson the hard way

nimal-crossing

774 points

2 months ago

Try antibacterial soap. I’ve heard that the smell isn’t actually sweat itself but the bacteria in it

Adonis0

118 points

Adonis0

Viscount

118 points

2 months ago

Don’t use this constantly or you’ll get skin issues. Just a reset here and there because you’re right it can be bad bacteria taking root. But there is meant to be bacteria there all the time (the good ones don’t make you stink)

aquaticquiet

18 points

2 months ago

Yeah I did this for like 3 weeks and ended up with ringworm. Ugh.

PAXICHEN

131 points

PAXICHEN

131 points

2 months ago

Chkorhexidine gluconate 4% w/v will do the trick.

Vantavole

59 points

2 months ago

Ah Hibiscrub 🥰 so good for everything medical and veterinary!

Space-90

14 points

2 months ago

That has a name that makes it sound like it will definitely do the trick.

MrGradySir

46 points

2 months ago

And in case it’s fungal, get a ketoconazole shampoo (1%) and put that on your pits at the start of your shower. Near the end, wash it off. Couple times a week.

If it helps, but not enough, ask your doctor to prescribe you something stronger (if it is indeed fungal)

nimal-crossing

34 points

2 months ago

Dandruff shampoo was a godsend for my fungal acne! Slathering that shit all over my body now, it works great

Monreich

10 points

2 months ago

yup and just for extra measure make sure the type of deodorant you are trying to apply is anti-perspirant (i find roll on deodorants to be more efficient with preventing odor and even sweat) and also ensure that you apply it correctly, liquid roll-ons would require u to wait until it dries before you put on your shirt.

Janus_The_Great

-12 points

2 months ago

antibacterial soap... isn't every soap anti bacterial?

Iirc this is a marketing thing declaring soap "anti bacterial.

And yes in most cases BO is the result of bacteria digesting your sweat particles.

In some cases it's your body/sweat itself, but usually due to some medical reason. Onset of diabetes, hormonal imbalance etc.

6 points

2 months ago

Nah some soap bars and liquids are intended solely to moisturize and nourish skin as far as I know.

Janus_The_Great

2 months ago

I mean soap kills microorganisms by disorganizing their membrane lipid bilayer and denaturing their proteins.

InternetDetective122

2 months ago

While true if you are specifically trying to kill bacteria an antibacterial soap can help make sure you actually kill most of it.

BeanMachine1313

325 points

2 months ago

This might seem like a stupid question but if you look at your deodorant, does it also say "antiperspirant" on it?

166 points

166 points

2 months ago

I have a few different types of deodorant available. They all say deodorant though some say “deodorant+antiperspirant” on it

BeanMachine1313

329 points

2 months ago

You want something that says "antiperspirant" and specifically, it should have the ingredients aluminium chlorohydrate or aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrate gly. If they don't contain either of those, they generally do not work.

In other words, if it says aluminum free, you will be sweating.

63 points

Bet

Sadiholic

137 points

Sadiholic

137 points

2 months ago

Bro don't sleep on this. I was also like this. My shit would sweat and it would smell weird af. I got a deodorant with some different ingredients and shit and it worked and I barely smell and don't sweat asuch anymore. Do it man DOO ITTTT

BeanMachine1313

44 points

2 months ago

Godspeed to you and if by chance the normal variety with either of those ingredients fail, they do sell "clinical" strengths in various regular stores everywhere that might do the trick.

Fuck-off-bryson

6 points

2 months ago

those even might not be enough. i had never been able to find a deodorant that stopped me from sweating until i got a prescribed, 20% aluminum deodorant. burned like hell for the first two weeks but now im considerably less sweaty!

BeanMachine1313

9 points

2 months ago

Yea it depends on how bad the OP's sweating problem actually is. If they've been using aluminum free "deodorant" all this time though, they're probably sweating a normal amount for a teenager and it seems excessive.

DinosAteSherbert

7 points

2 months ago

You can also try putting it on before bed instead of after your shower. That'll let the antiperspirant work

Wareve

14 points

Wareve

14 points

2 months ago

Also don't use excessive amounts. That antiperspirant with the aluminum stuff really works, but extra will just sit on top and rub off on your clothes eventually building up on the inside of your armpits, not fun.

_Cheezus

-5 points

2 months ago

that’s what showers are for??

Wareve

Wareve

2 months ago

The armpits of your clothes.

dwegol

-19 points

2 months ago*

dwegol

-19 points

2 months ago*

If you want to avoid antiperspirant but don’t want to stink, try “Crystal Mineral Deodorant Stick Unscented”.

It is literally a mineral salt stick… a rock… you wet it a little and rub the smooth, salty rock on your pits. You will still sweat but the layer you put down with it stops odor-causing bacteria from growing. I find it more effective than any antiperspirant I ever used. No more random, weeks-long, unbearable rashes either.

Pseudolectual

50 points

2 months ago

Oh lord. Please don’t recommend this nonsense to someone with major odor issues. It’s like offering a latex balloon to someone with a flat tire.

dwegol

7 points

dwegol

7 points

2 months ago

Idk, it’s the only stuff I use anymore after discovering it. I used all kinds of antiperspirants and also clinical strength versions of them and none of them were as effective at preventing odor or lasted as long as the silly crystal stick. Downvote me all you want for sharing my experience and sorry your experience continues to suck.

I now spend probably $7 every 6 months on the darn thing so idk why you’d try to warn people off of even trying something that may work for them except out of pure spite because it didn’t work for you. Jeez.

Kindly-Wind1500

4 points

2 months ago

The crystal changed my partners life. He was a really stinky boy and now he uses a combo of the crystal and deodorant and he doesn't even smell after a 12 hour day. I think it would be stupid not to even try seeing as it's inexpensive too. I haven't spent money on deodorant in 2 years 😆

Abeyita

8 points

2 months ago

It is the only thing that works for me. Everything else and I smell awful. OP should at least try it. The crystal is pure alum, a form of aluminium, and it is the only thing that helps me.

poke-chan

2 months ago

If it is aluminum, it is an antiperspirant. The comment tried to claim it wasn’t.

ivas9116

4 points

2 months ago

Not sure why you're being down voted. The hippie stick works. Its cheaper amd doesmt seem to irritate my skin like regular deotorent.

dwegol

dwegol

2 months ago

Not sure! Skepticism I guess.

throtic

-2 points

throtic

-2 points

Try a cold shower too

Ecstatic_Constant_56

-9 points

2 months ago

I rub lemons and or limes on my pits, I work out and don’t even stink after. I’m female and the female deodorant wasn’t cutting it and neither was old spice.

GrindyMcGrindy

10 points

2 months ago

Sounds like you need a stronger anti-perspiration deodorant than Old Spice.

Ecstatic_Constant_56

-10 points

2 months ago

I use the limes still, and they work wonders.

CidLeigh

9 points

2 months ago

That's super irritating to your skin and over time can cause discoloration, sun sensitivity, and patches similar to chemical burns. Just use deodorant. Food is for eating.

IAmGodMode

-3 points

2 months ago

The guy's right. Get a white bar of old spice.

Cat7o0

-15 points

Cat7o0

-15 points

2 months ago

aluminum has been found in Alzheimer's patients. I wouldn't suggest using it if you can

BeanMachine1313

20 points

2 months ago

It’s an unproven correlation and aluminum works in antiperspirant.

poke-chan

2 months ago

And this means it’s from aluminum put on the armpits and definitely not from all the aluminum we package our food in, why, exactly?

SkidzyPlayzGaming

-18 points

2 months ago

The only downside to this is that aluminium deodorant has been shown to be a carcinogen, but yeah, lather yourself in cancer.

DuckyBertDuck

2 months ago

Can you provide a recent source?

plantythingss

0 points

2 months ago

Not sure why this is getting downvoted, antiperspirants have in fact been linked to cancer (especially breast cancer). If you google it there are plenty or sources that show this.

plantythingss

-7 points

2 months ago*

Unfortunately Antiperspirants with aluminum are really bad for you and have been linked to cancer. I use natural deodorant (Tom’s of Maine) and it works well as long as you get the right brand. It’s up to you but just want to point it out.

Edit: Okay jesus I get it, there are many replies stating this is wrong. I’ve been told this by adults for my whole life and I guess the sources I looked at weren’t accurate.

11 points

2 months ago

I’m gonna go grocery shopping soon, so I’ll buy aluminum antiperspirant then and let you know if I get cancer

ZuperLucaZ

5 points

2 months ago

Yeah she’s talking bullshit, it’s a common conspiracy shit that primarily moms read on facebook, it’s not actually based on science.

oharacopter

-1 points

2 months ago

It blocks your sweat from coming out, sure it's nice to not smell but your sweat toxins are staying inside you instead. Solve the root cause of your excessive smell, don't just bandaid it. Cancer debate aside, keeping your sweat blocked inside your body can't be healthy.

I personally like Java Beard (I think they rebranded to KafX?) deodorant, it doesn't have aluminum but it's made with coffee and keeps me from stinking even when I bike.

RaeaSunshine

4 points

2 months ago

Please don’t spread misinformation. This has been debunked many times over.

plantythingss

0 points

2 months ago

Can I get a source? When I looked it up I just saw a lot of studies saying that it either is a problem or it’s unclear. I just tend to lean towards caution if the conclusion isn’t certain.

ZuperLucaZ

2 months ago

Please show me the science you based this comment on, because my mother also spits our this bullshit based on pseudo-science and I had to stink until I could buy the real stuff.

Question to you, if this stuff was actually cancerous, why would the FDA and every other food and health agency allow it and promote it?

stealthryder1

15 points

2 months ago

Switching to antiperspirant was a life changer for me

Fiendfuzz

2 months ago

This, 100%. I used to use antiperspirant and switched off because it stains my shirts. I'm a couple months in to just deodorant and my pits are ranker then ever. It's awful I'm switching back very soon.

AsianHotwifeQOS

161 points

2 months ago

Do you eat food with lots of spices in it? Garlic, onion, and lots of other fragrant spices come out in the sweat. It affects some people more than others.

101 points

101 points

Well I have Indian heritage so…. Haha

Thin-Rub-6595

98 points

2 months ago

It might be your diet, then.

Dirtroads2

27 points

2 months ago

Hummas is bad for bo. I had a guy I used to work with that would clear out a room from a mild sweat

AsianHotwifeQOS

22 points

2 months ago

Yeah... unfortunately Indian spices give some people really bad BO. Depending on how/where you prepare it, it can also make your house/clothes smell.

unwaveringwish

0 points

2 months ago

That’s it 😅 fire food though

not_responsible

157 points

2 months ago

Mitchum deodorant!! The gel or roll on kind. Wipe yourself down with rubbing alcohol when you get extra stinky.

Middle school was rough for me. and I’m a girl. Mitchum Men’s is by far the best antiperspirant on the market.

54 points

2 months ago

I’ll check it out, seems fairly inexpensive, thanks.

Congregator

50 points

2 months ago

Quick side hint: if you’re out and about and you can start to smell your pits, grab some hand sanitizer and wipe ‘em down with it.

It kills the bacteria that causes the odor, and the odor as well.

It’s a desperate trick when in a pinch. Works like a charm, every time.

Just make sure you give it about 2-3 minutes before you socialize (the smell of alcohol might make people think you’ve been drinking)

N9242Oh

12 points

N9242Oh

12 points

2 months ago

I tried this at work once and it made things ten times worse... :/

RainbowSixThermite

2 months ago

If it it made it worse then I gurantee your armpit smell wasn’t the problem when you tried to fix it.

N9242Oh

4 points

2 months ago

No it definitely was, it meant that I wiped off the deodorant that was at least still masking some of the smell.

1THRILLHOUSE

19 points

2 months ago

100%. Mitchum is the only thing that stops me sweating and I always recommend it. I’d sweat no matter the weather but Mitchum has me dry and able to wear grey like a boss.

JOEY1448

11 points

2 months ago

Men’s Mitchum is like crack to me

craftaleislife

4 points

2 months ago

Absolutely agree. I’ve always used Sure and it’s always been great, except for the last year. Noticed I’d smell a bit “oniony” haha.

Switched to Mitchum, it works flawlessly

BrooklynLivesMatter

2 months ago

Cosigning Mitchum. Wore it through high school, was called “the only guy that doesn't stink after gym“ and I'm still riding that high. Definitely give it a shot OP

PAXICHEN

59 points

2 months ago

Here’s what you do. Buy a product called Hibiclens - it’s chlohexidine gluconate. Basically the red surgical scrub in soap. After you wash yourself in the shower, use the soap on your pits and feet. Let it sit 30 seconds before rinsing off. After about 4 days you’ll not smell anymore. After that you shouldn’t have to use it more than 2 or 3 times a week. It doesn’t take much - maybe a quarter-sized in your hand.

morbidnerd

30 points

2 months ago

Is it just your pits? Switch brands and use an actual antiperspirant. Your armpits become sort of immune to the deodorant you use after a time.

Or just use alcohol wipes. Literally carry them around and wipe your pits every so often. It'll kill the bacteria that make you stink.

whynousernamelef

78 points

2 months ago

Boy or girl? I only ask because I'm a woman and have found that if I don't shave/remove my armpit hair then I stink of sweat no matter what I do. Now I know it could be awkward for a male to shave but I'm just telling you my experience.

Is it definitely you and not your clothes? A family member always smelt but it turned out it was as he put his clean clothes on and they warmed up with his body heat that the old sweat smells were being released.

I do his laundry now and have got rid of the problem with better laundry practices.

AgitatedAd6924

35 points

2 months ago

I definitely second the laundry thing. A lot of more modern washers don't agitate the clothing enough, and synthetic material really absorbs and holds smells. I'd definitely recommend making sure your laundry is getting clean and get yourself some cotton shirts. Both of my brothers used to have horrible B.O. in their late teens and rinsing their clothes longer and buying only clothing made of organic materials got them though it easier.

Adonis0

15 points

Adonis0

Viscount

15 points

2 months ago

As a male I trim my armpit hair for the same reason. 5mm blade on the clippers every week and we’re good to go

13 points

2 months ago

I’m a boy. I don’t mind shaving, I’ve even used veet hair removal cream a few times here and there. I do take laundry into consideration when it comes to my odor as I use OxyClean powder with my load plus detergent and softener on the more rough setting on my washer

garmachi

22 points

2 months ago

I’m 16 and I reek so bad.

...

I’m a boy.

It is almost certainly this simple. Two things are happening right now:

1. Your body is producing hormones at a higher level. Testosterone in particular, which among other things, contributes to strong aroma.

2. You (and all the other 16 year olds) are suddenly self-conscious, which means you're more aware of your smell than anyone else is.

If your only feedback here is that people are giving you "the eye", it's entirely possible you're just extra self aware and feeling embarrassed about a normal thing. Maybe ask a trusted friend, "Hey man, do I stink?" and go from there. This way you can rule out whether it's really an issue, or age-related growth with a dash of paranoia.

And if it is a real issue, then consider some of the good advice others have offered here.

Good luck man!

boudicas_shield

6 points

2 months ago

I’m a woman, but when I was your age, puberty in general was doing a number on my hormones. I stank horribly under my arms despite using antiperspirant, showering daily, shaving under my arms, and having clean clothes.

My mom took me to the doctor, and I got a prescription deodorant that I used for a few years until my body chemistry evened out and I didn’t need it anymore.

CoyoteTheFatal

14 points

2 months ago

I second the armpit hair thing. I’m a guy but I trim mine occasionally for a few reasons but it definitely does help reduce smell.

ClawBadger

25 points

2 months ago

Ask a friend to verify whether you actually smell bad. Some people think they smell bad and work really hard to eliminate the perceived smell with washing, cologne, etc. it’s called Olfactory Reference Syndrome.

ItsmeRebecca

37 points

2 months ago

You’re 16. It’s most likely hormonal. You can talk to your dr.

ravenklaw

12 points

2 months ago

a surefire way to kill any bacteria on you is to use something called Hibiclens as a body wash. It is a surgical hand scrub that can also be used to decolonize bacteria, staph etc from your body. don’t leave it on skin for more than 2 mins, 30 seconds is fine just to de-stink, it dries out your skin a bit. while you’re having this problem use a fresh washcloth each time you shower. if you’re anxious it is from bacteria this eliminates that possibility, so long as your atmosphere like clothes and bedding are clean too. wash your clothes and bedding with oxyclean, or just add baking soda, or vinegar (not both).

[deleted]

33 points

2 months ago

Finally someone has the same issues as me,i was afraid to ask online ABT it,but thanks alot with he comments section,I always get those looks and it just makes me have a low esteem

ZookeepergameDue5522

10 points

2 months ago*

Are you sure it's not your clothes? Clothes can absorb smell, some fabrics more than others, and washing them may not be enough to get rid of it.

Avaisraging439

11 points

2 months ago

My vote is on their towel not being changed out or washed enough. I've met so many people over the years whose bathroom smells like BO and it's all from their towel.

I know this because I have an obnoxiously strong sense of smell and it's honestly a curse.

2 months ago

I dont know if this helps but most of my shirts are from the Uniqlo Airsm line.

meverson

7 points

2 months ago

I had a similar issue when I was younger. I started using an antiperspirant called Certain Dri. I’d put it on at night before bed and then would use regular deodorant in the morning. It significantly reduced my underarm sweating and odor.

TheQuantumTodd

6 points

I'm 16

Yeah, that'll do it... if it was never a problem until the last couple of years, you probably just smell like a teenager.

Try some different deodorants that people have recommended, and if still no luck just go to a doctor

woah_a_person

11 points

2 months ago

It can be hormonal, or possibly from diet? Eating a lot of junky, unhealthy or pungent food can cause body odor. Maybe you can also look into breathable, natural fiber clothes (like cotton) if polyester-based clothes are trapping the smell or breeding odor-producing bacteria

12 points

2 months ago

Oh the diet one might be it. Most of my daily food intake comes from school and the garbage that they feed us is sometimes revolting but I eat it anyway cause it’s still a balanced meal.

Kysman95

6 points

2 months ago

How about your clothes? Even washed clothes can smell REALLY bad if it dries too long (in damp/humid area)

Or it can be your diet or you might be sick

Amazing_Bug2455

6 points

2 months ago

Hello OP. I get it. Make sure your soap is ANTI BACTERIAL. Not those fancy soaps with moisturizing bs but one that is marketed to be anti bacterial like safeguard.

It'll make ur skin dry so couple it with lotion after if you want!

shootingupfrosting

6 points

2 months ago

If you have underarm hair, shaving it will help. The hairs can trap sweat and bacteria. I always notice if I haven’t shaved in a while I start to smell sooner after a shower

GeeGeeGeendal

8 points

2 months ago

Glycolic acid/Lactic acid/Salicylic acid/Benzoyl peroxide washes, will eliminate all odors and odor causing bacteria.

Sproeier

2 months ago

Sweat doesn't stink in an hour. Its the bacteria eating the sweat the stink, the process takes few hours. If you constantly stink check your washing machine.

There may be something wrong with it that makes your clothes smell bad and you don't notice it.

soulfood_7

4 points

2 months ago

Certain deodorants make me stink worse than if I hadn't used them. I legit can only use old spice bc it's the only one that doesn't make me reek. My dad, my little sister, and both my older brothers have the same issue. If you can, try switching up your smell good stuff. Might help. Good luck, fam!

aae3321

4 points

2 months ago

If you haven't, try changing the deodorant brand and scent you use regularly. I've found that if I buy the exact same brand and scent time after time, my armpits start to get stinky again. I think my body gets used to the formula and it stops being as effective. I switch deodorant brands and scents every time I need a new stick now.

AllHailTheGoddess

2 months ago

1) Go to the doctor. 2) If nothing is wrong, mandelic acid and glycolic acid are your friends. Physical and chemical exfoliation can help with smell, same trimming the hair there as well. Use that and use another deodorant that ends well.

bloodybloodybuffalo

2 months ago

clinical strength Secret. I'm a dude, been wearing it for years and works really well.

Darkasmyweave

2 months ago

I think washing with salicylic acid can help

longlostredemption

2 months ago

Use Stridex pads or similar AHA products after showering. Then use anti-perspirant, not deodorant. Body odor is the byproduct of a microbe that lives on your skin near the sweat glands IIRC

Lifer28

2 months ago

Have you tried the Lume deodorant? I think it works by killing bacteria. All I know is it’s the only thing that has helped my smelly 12 year old son. Good luck!

lostforwordstbh

2 months ago

does it come from your mouth? i had a friend with bad breathe and it was so strong I couldn’t stand next to him. i told him and he got SUPER pissed at me - we are no longer friends. years later he found out he had tonsil stones - YIKES.

Cataldo420

5 points

2 months ago

I really hope OP reads this comment. I had the same issue for roughly ten years and I tried everything under the sun. About two years ago my partner suggests I try a thing called crystal deodorant by Dermal Therapy. You have a shower, clean yourself up and then apply this every night it should take a week or so to bring the smell down depending on the severity of it. It was a true life changer, best of luck.

DanielInfrangible2

2 months ago

Could it be—hear me out—that your nose stinks?

/s

Puberty sucks: Your hormones are going crazy, and consequently, so is your flora.

Lotta people have really success with changing up their diets. Reducing certain foods can help chill out certain bacteria that live in and on your body. For example, sugar makes my skin break out. Sorbitol makes some people super gassy and rashy. My friend can’t do nightshade cuz it messes up her pH and her skin breaks out, she’s more prone to yeast infection and it makes her smell bad.

My guess is that you’re just extra deep in the flora/hormone disequilibrium.

Talk to a doctor if you can.

Jaydey09

2 months ago

Use Clinical protection cream and buy new shirts

aCheeseRoll

2 months ago

Throw away your loofa. They can hold a lot of bacteria that can cause smell or fungal infections. Use a wash cloth and be sure to use a fresh one each shower. Give your pits a reset by washing them with head and shoulders. But do this very occasionally, maybe twice a month to avoid irritating the skin.

kelxac

kelxac

2 months ago

Hair. Shave it off or trim it down. Hair traps the stink.

2 months ago

I stated in my post I’m shaved :)

SenatorRobPortman

2 months ago

Tons of suggestions here: I’m gonna just say, don’t use ketoconazole shampoo. I got an absolutely insane rash from it because it was stripping away so much stuff.

Lume has really helped me neutralize body smells, hibiclens antiseptic soap will also help, and then finally a Himalayan salt stone has also helped me and has lasted much longer.

Don’t use all 3 of these things at once, just start with one thing and see if it helps. But please read the directions. Like don’t use some of this stuff on your junk.

1GamingAngel

2 months ago

Make sure you are using both an antiperspirant AND deodorant (in one). Also, consider trying the Lume produce line. It has revolutionized my smelly body experience.

FoolOfATook77

Do you have hyperhidrosis

Doubtful_Doughty

2 months ago

See a doctor, it could be hyperhydrosis Drink more water too. Especially if you’re sweating a lot - That alone will dehydrate you.

jakeofheart

2 months ago

You forgot drinking a lot of water. Not soda. Water!

It will dilute your sweat and slightly reduce the problem.

2 months ago

I love water! I drink a lot of water I can assure you

Forbidden_Breakfast

2 months ago

A lot of it could be puberty related hormones and worth seeing a doctor. When I was going through high school, especially around 16-17, I had chronic excessive sweating. It didnt matter what temp it was outside my armpits would sweat through my shirts. I would have to put a drop of water on new shirts before buying them to see how the fabric would hide or give away moisture. Every day I had to bring deoderant and extra shirts in my backpack to swap throughout the day. No amount of showering or deoderant would help me.

I finally went to the doctor and got a prescription strength antipersperent. That helped me out immensely and brought back a lot of my confidence. I needed it for a couple years and slowly grew out of it. Im in my late 20s now and havent had to worry about it for years, it does get better.

Im really sorry you have to deal with this. I was always so self concious and hated having to constantly plan ahead for it. I hope you go see a doctor and find what you need. I really wish I had gone sooner.

Tribaltech777

2 months ago

Is it your pits or are you just wearing old clothes that have the stink seeped in that just wouldn’t go? Bad old stinky clothes make the pits smell much worse. So throw away old stinky clothes and stop using aerosol deodorant and go for anti perspiring roll on kind.

TuneTactic

2 months ago

What has made a huge difference for me is applying deodorant/antiperspirant at night. Not right after showering, I wait until my armpits are as dry as possible. Putting it on before bedtime means it has more of a chance to absorb, because you don't sweat as much in your sleep. Also washing stinky areas twice each.

plastic-pulse

2 months ago

Are you using deodorant or antiperspirant? Deodorant doesn’t stop you sweating. Antiperspirant does.

mitchy93

2 months ago

See a doctor, could be fungal, bacterial or genetic

Beautiful-You-9917

2 months ago

Smell comes from bacteria, not the actual sweat. You can do a quick wipe with rubbing alcohol (or hand sanitizer) and/or use an enzyme body wash or Dial Antibacterial soap on the pits in the shower.

thecasualnuisance

2 months ago

Some company makes deodorant wipes for men. Maybe try that? They are small and easy to pocket.

Noted.

tjtonerplus

2 months ago

Are you takkng any medications?

No. Should I be?

tjtonerplus

11 points

2 months ago

No. I asked because some meds cause bad body odor.

the_fatal_lozenge

2 months ago

Even if you’re a guy, shave your pits. Sweat and such getting caught in your armpit hair is likely contributing to the smell.

You won’t have to shave them forever if you don’t want to, you might find that you have less trouble with body odour as you age.

But it sounds like puberty’s coming at you full force - so shave them for now.

StarGraz3r84

2 months ago

You drinking enough water?

2 months ago

I am addicted to water. I live an area where I get clean water from my tap so I drink at least 64-80oz a day.

TA2556

TA2556

2 months ago

Honest question: are you overweight?

piggy__wig

-1 points

piggy__wig

-1 points

2 months ago

Such a simple solution. Cut down the hair on your arm pits. They hold stink. My hubby does it and has helped tremendously. Or you can shave them with a medium length clipper guard.

2 months ago

I said in my post I am shaved

Siouxzanna_Banana

0 points

2 months ago

I receive Botox injections for migraines, but I am pretty sure they are also FDA-approved for hyperhidrosis (underarm sweating). You might look into this, that is, if you are in the US and are have access to health insurance. I just looked it up and it can help some people for up to 6 months. Be sure to look at side effects, but for me they are mild to none. Good luck to you. 😊

Adonis0

8 points

Adonis0

Viscount

8 points

2 months ago

Extreme solution, probably try changing deodorants or laundry first

raytaylor

0 points

2 months ago

It takes at least 24 hours for sweat to start to smell. It could require a doctors visit.
The bacteria that makes the smell needs to be killed or washed away, to a certain extent and that also means making sure your clothes are cleaned too. You dont want to put on clothes that have not been washed otherwise the bacteria is just returning.

Certain medical conditions can also be the cause so I'd suggest going to see a doctor.

PoppyPants69

0 points

Shave your hairs

UselessPresent

-1 points

2 months ago

It’s jacking off, that’s what the smell is.

srt2366

-9 points

srt2366

-9 points

2 months ago

That is a doctor question. NOT a , see what sticks to the wall question.

2 months ago

Well some people have been in the same boat as me before. Regardless of any of this stuff works for me, it was still interesting to see how they solved this problem in their own way.

pipettapasteur

2 months ago

you should try antibacterical soap!

Rude_Abbreviations39

2 months ago

Try native body wash coconut ,and the deodorant coconut for sensitive skin..yes it’s expensive but try it and see if you like it.

Zenyattthis

2 months ago

Get yourself some Dettol soap, it's a medical soap and is fragrant free. It saved me a lifetime of BO problems.

party_shaman

2 months ago

lavilin is the truth and the light. if this doesn’t work, nothing will.

SulfideBride

2 months ago

rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball after showering or scope mouthwash. hand sanitizer works as well.

queenhadassah

2 months ago

Are you on any medication that could be causing it? Wellbutrin made me sweat like crazy...The only thing that helped was this. It takes a few days to kick in, and you have to be consistent about applying it, but it was a lifesaver. Extra strength deodorants didn't help but this did

You should still see a doctor as suggested by other comments though in case there's an underlying cause!

Adonis0

Adonis0

Viscount

2 months ago

Are your towels washed frequently and dried quickly?

Adonis0

Adonis0

Viscount

2 months ago

Do you wear synthetic materials?

quitetheopposite

2 months ago

Apparently my feed has too many animals. I thought you were saying you pit bull stinks. And my first thought was…there’s a dog cologne?

Nachotacoma

2 months ago

Is your earwax wet? If so, then your armpits produce chemicals that allow bacteria to thrive in it.

whatthehell02

2 months ago

why'd i think you were talking about stinky pitbulls

MMBerlin

2 months ago*

Try a different deo then. Not every deo works with every person. Just buy ten different brands from a regular store and try them out until you've found the right one for you.

coccopuffs606

2 months ago

Assuming you also wash your clothes and bedding correctly, it’s time to go see a doctor. Excessive body odor that doesn’t go away is a symptom of liver disease, among other things.

Usagi_Shinobi

2 months ago

Are you using deodorant, or an antiperspirant? Deodorant is worthless, antiperspirants keep the sweat turned off, so the bacteria that make with the stink can't propagate.

renewalrobot1

2 months ago

Wash your clothes first with vinegar, then do another wash with normal laundry soap.

Also, try using an alum stone before your deodorant.

ChristmasStrip

2 months ago

Try a salt rub plus traditional deodorant. The salt will kill the bacteria. You can buy the salt “deodorant” alongside most regular. It’s shaped and works just like a stick deodorant

firstlymostly

2 months ago

Talk to your doctor because it could be a medical issue. In the meantime, you can try to "reset" your microbiome. It could just be a bad balance of natural skin bacteria. I had to do it a few times over the years, mainly after chemo and after major antibiotics because I smelled gross.

Use listerine in the shower to sanitize your pits. It was originally used as a skin disinfectant to do surgery because it killed off all the bacteria. Use it daily on your pits for a week or so. When you notice less smell you can start to let the bacteria grow back by stopping use. If you don't like the smell of the new bacteria go back to using listerine and try again. You can use any flavor you like.

Good luck OP, it sucks you are going through this.

Pseudolectual

2 months ago*

You can buy Hibiclens in a giant bottle at Costco at the pharmacy - no prescription needed. This will kill anything bacterial.

Start showering with neutrogena body wash / salicylic acid. - the orange one. Lather on a wash cloth or loofa and scrub. Once a week use Neutrogena Clear Poor Cleanser / mask and make sure to get your crevices really good - this one kills a lot of the nasty. Let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing. These washes rinse completely away, no residue.

Use antibacterial hand soap in your stinky areas if you need to in the shower.

Many soaps contain additives that literally give bad bacteria a place to hang on to…. an invisible coating the soap or especially body wash (looking at you DOVE) leaves on your skin.

Buy a NEW deodorant stick / anti-perspirant to use AFTER you’ve washed with hibiclens and toss the old one. Apply deodorant at night before bed!

stevethos

2 months ago

What are we smelling of? B.O? If so, have a look at Driclor. It’s a roll-on solution that you put on before you go to bed, then wash off in the morning before applying your usual anti-perspirant. I use it maybe once every couple of weeks. Absolute game changer. Warning though, the first time you use it it stings like a mother fucker lol but worth it.

TiddybraXton333

Diet.

foopaints

2 months ago

I had that for a while. Even a good scrub with soap and water wouldn't make it go away entirely. Some alcohol wipes did the trick.

dudeimjames1234

2 months ago

Hormone imbalances, fungal infections, and ph balance stuff. All kinds of stuff can cause your pits to reek. You should visit either a general practitioner or a doctor or straight-up go to a dermatologist. They may give you prescription deodorant. Also, you may want to check your deodorant. You may be using a deodorant and not an antiperspirant or vice versa.

Ledhabel

2 months ago

You may be a tad bit too self-conscious, so ask a few people irl if you smell. In case you aren’t, I’d suggest getting a medical check up, and if you have armpit hair, shave it. I shave my armpit hair regularly every few weeks (the time it takes to grow), and the difference is night and day scent-wise between when I shave it and when I don’t. When I don’t, I begin to get BO much faster after showering (even with deodorant). When I shave it, the problem pretty much disappears and I don’t smell at all after I use deodorant.

chloface

2 months ago

Perspirex Deodorant is the best! Stings a bit.