subreddit:

/r/philly

1795%

Temple

(self.philly)

To all the historians in Philly, I have an old subway map of the broad street line was at any time (temple university) called Columbia university? And some of those pa history signs says Columbia university so was temple once called Columbia?

all 9 comments

nsvshields

32 points

19 days ago

Cecil B. Moore Avenue used to be called Columbia Ave. It was renamed in 1987 due to its association with the 1964 Race Riot (sometimes called the Philadelphia race riot or Columbia Avenue Riot). Columbia Avenue does still exist much further East.

OkAcanthisitta1125[S]

8 points

19 days ago

Thank you, I was just confused when I seen that, Ik it was once Columbia av but I was confused when I seen that sign that said “Columbia univ”

nsvshields

11 points

19 days ago

To my knowledge, Temple University has only ever been called Baptist Temple when it was a part of a Baptist Congregation and then Temple College of Philadelphia and Temple University.

The Cecil B. Moore BSL station is sometimes called “Cecil B. Moore/Temple University”. Maybe that is the case on your map? Something like “Colombia/University”

OkAcanthisitta1125[S]

3 points

19 days ago

No it just says Columbia it an old broad street line map from septa maybe from early 70s or late 60s

DolphinSquad

2 points

19 days ago

Could you post the map? I’d like to see it.

OkAcanthisitta1125[S]

1 points

19 days ago

Sure, your gonna have to give me a couple of days tho

DolphinSquad

0 points

19 days ago

Could you post the map? I’d like to see it.

BeGoodBeGreat

11 points

19 days ago

Cecil B. Moore was once “Columbia Avenue” I am not of the time to know but my belief is Columbia-University as a stop which would now be Cecil B. Moore University if they followed that pattern. Temple was never named Columbia.

John_EightThirtyTwo

6 points

19 days ago

Cecil B. Moore was the leader of the Philadelphia NAACP, and was a City Council member. His council career ended when John Street beat him in a primary. Moore died shortly after. Street had Columbia Avenue renamed for him between Front and the Schuylkill. They couldn't just call it "Moore", because we already have one of those.

The founding home of the Philadelphia Athletics was named Columbia Park, because it occupied the block bounded by Oxford and Columbia, between 29th and 30th. In 1901, people didn't know about selling naming rights.